Starting my 1st pilgrimage ride Cantebury to Rome around July 23.

Hello,. I will be starting to bike via Francacina in Canterbury around July 23. If you see me say hello. I will be on a silver bike with red front paniers & yellow rear panniers and a yellow bag on my handlebars. Hopemake it to Rome. Will be following the Lightfoot guide bicycle path. Unfortunately I only speak English but I am good with Google translate. Will blog mostly with photos at www.carynlovesailing.blogspot.com.

Good luck. Will be following this with interest as I hope to do the same in 2019. The only bit I can see could be a problem is Martigny to Aosta. Will be following that bit with particular interest.

If you are starting in Canterbury, I'd recommend you use Regional Cycle Route 16. The last section down into Dover is rather interesting as it drops quite sharply.

Canterbury to Dover

And if you want a stamp to show you've started, the ticket office (large wooden shed) at the Cathedral will oblige if they are open

If you are starting in Canterbury, I'd recommend you use Regional Cycle Route 16. The last section down into Dover is rather interesting as it drops quite sharply.

Canterbury to Dover

And if you want a stamp to show you've started, the ticket office (large wooden shed) at the Cathedral will oblige if they are open
Thanks. I definitely want a stamp. I am not exactly sure how the stamping process works but I know I want to collect stamps along the way!

Canterbury to Dover

Doues the route suggested from Canterbery to Dover have signage?

Trip is going well. I am starting to use to the hills and living on a bike. The route has been excellent. No issues finding places to stay. People have been very kind and helpful.

Super pics of Reims. Hope you've had plenty of champagne.

Route should be along the river with a gradual climb to Besancon 375 km away. Bit of a blip at Langres but plain sailing - which you'll be used to. What distances are you averaging?

Route should be along the river with a gradual climb to Besancon 375 km away. Bit of a blip at Langres but plain sailing - which you'll be used to. What distances are you averaging?
50 to 70 km a day. Curre

50 to 70 km a day. Currently in Besancon. Beautiful city!

You're making good progress. The bike seems to be growing extra bits which look like they have come from Decathlon.

When you get to Switzerland bare in mind that SBB can transport unaccompanied bikes if you need to get ahead of schedule. Are you on a 90 day visa?

Here are the options on SBB Rail and Postbus. You may need to plan / book ahead as the weather will be changeable and if you are time limited you may not want to hang around.

https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/...o/Veloselbstverlad/SBB_Velo_Pocketflyer_e.pdf

The bit that some people have a problem with is the St Bernard's pass especially if there are days when there is significant cloud cover. This may come in useful

http://www.savda.it/public/documenti/226.pdf

Yes I am on a 90 Visa and must depart by September 15. Thanks for the train schedule!. Any thoughts on how to five an electronic map of Swizz route 70? Using my phone I have not found any yet.