The road route from Radicofani to Aquapendente.

Hiawatha

In a word , don't.
The first half lulls you into a false sense of security , the second will frighten you out of your pants .
The alternative is much longer but you are less likely to end up as ' road jam ' . Or do as the guide book suggests and take a bus for this minor but deadly segment.

Hiawatha

Traffic, generally huge trucks and a roadside that is very narrow and fitted with steel barriers. There is little if any opportunity to step off the bitumen at all , couple this with long sweeping bends and poor visibility due to tall vegetation . I saw no cyclists either , perhaps they have more sense than I or knew just how difficult this stretch is .

Have to say I didn’t find the road section you mentioned but that might be the difference in routing between walkers and bikes.

I do agree that this section offers nothing. Apart from one cafe there’s no facilities on this part so a bus would be a good choice for a rest day.

Gravel and rock paths with a 15% slope doesn’t make a pleasant experience.

Take the bus.

Hiawatha

The trouble starts at Ponte Rigo , you have two options , left along the road to Centeno or right to Proceno both lead to Aquapedente . The Proceno route is much longer and adds almost 9km to the stage but is very scenic. The road route between Centeno to Aquapedente is possibly the most dangerous leg of the entire Francigena.

Sainttam

I walked the Centeno route, have to agree it was dangerous. However, I’m glad I did so, there were thunderstorms over by Proceno that day. Not far from Acquapendente a couple of thunderstorms merged. I hate thunderstorms E8E81F3C-7213-4549-8595-037E5362FF98.jpeg397492EE-B339-4724-B5D3-D1BC85327C18.jpeg

Sainttam

Where would be the bus? From Centeno to Aquapedente ? Ponte Rigo to Aquapendente?
Do they have hitchhiking in Italy?
There is a bus twice a day stopping in Ponte A Rigo, Centeno and Acquapendente. It’s the Abbadia San Salvatore- Viterbo route, www.cotralspa.it tel 800-17 44 71 from a landline or 06-72 05 72 05 from a mobile for times. I got this info from Terre Di mezzo app. Hope it helps.

Last edited: