Travel money advice

Jennyreeve

This may sound like a daft question, but does anyone have advice on the best way take travel money. I was considering a pre-loaded credit card, but I am not sure that everywhere along the Canterbury to Rome route will accept cards. Is it safe or advisable to carry just cash?

Hiawatha

A loaded travel debit card will always allow you to withdraw from automatic teller machines . I have used them throughout Spain ,France and Italy without trouble . That said I only ever do so at major banks and always during opening hours ;in case the machine wants a snack !
I usually withdraw about € 300 , the max allowed at most , this way you minimise the fees you pay to use the machine each time .

geezee

As a British-Italian who has spent many years travelling through Italy, it's worth noting that cash is generally preferred to cards especially in respect of small, towns/countryside establishments. I don't know if you are UK based, but Barclays Bank currently do a Platinum credit card that allows you to withdraw cash from European ATM's without charge. The alternative, of course, it to get something like a Fair FX pre-loaded card which charges, I think, £1.50 for ATM withdrawals. I would be wary of taking just a large wad of cash simply for security reasons.

Pong

If you’re from the USA or Canada, a TD Bank debit card may be another option. There are no monthly fees for the account if you maintain a minimum balance of $2500. Best of all, not only do they not charge a fee for overseas ATM withdrawals, but at least as important to your overall cost, they will reimburse any fees charged by the foreign bank which is actually providing the cash. I’ve used a TD debit card for cash withdrawals both when in Spain and in France for several years. Works a charm.

caminka

there have been recent reports from from france (but especially spain) that some ATM machines have started charging an extra 'withdrawal fee' that can be up to €5! this apparently has nothing to do with the card, the bank or the exchange rate.

Jennyreeve

Can anyone tell me if it is more cost effective to use euros in Switzerland or the Swiss franc? Or even if Switzerland accepts euros.

Galloglaigh

Can anyone tell me if it is more cost effective to use euros in Switzerland or the Swiss franc? Or even if Switzerland accepts euros.
Never tried as everywhere accepts cards. But just a heads up on the differences in currencies.

Took out CHF 200 from an ATM in Montreux for small purchases. The machine gave me 1 x CHF 200 note. So if you want small bills take them with you or make multiple small withdrawals. It was lucky the buses in Montreux are all free - probably an issue with finding small change for large notes.

caminka

I'm not sure if it's even possible to use euros in switzerland. but I've only been there two days. I remember you could pay both in swiss francs and in euros in the hospice on the GSB pass. the euro payment would depend on the current exchange rate.