VF Phrases I absolutely need to know ( in Italian)

sadaigh

Hello! I'm currently deep into my planning and reading for my VF this late May 2019. In all of my readings I have come across a few recommended words/phrases that I absolutely must be able to use for booking accommodations and receiving stamps. I'm learning as much Italian as I can on Duolingo, but the Italian I am learning is not always.. helpful. Gli uomini scrivono nello zucchero. The men write in the sugar. While this is a fun phrase, it will get me no where in Italy.

My list of absolutely necessary phrases includes...
Va bene per domani? Ok for tomorrow?
Timbro. Stamp.

What are phrases you used repeatedly in Italy?

Thank you for any and all input!

Hiawatha

Hopefully you won't need to use this phrase too often . :)
'' Va Via '' [pr. Vah Veah] is quite useful for firmly suggesting that someone whose company is not wanted should move on .

sadaigh

Oh man. I wish I would have known this phrase the first time I was in Italy. It's definitely going on the list! Thank you!

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
Random survival sentences:
"Please, where can I find a toilet?" - "Per favore dove trovo un bagno?"
"Please, can you fill my bottle with water? - "Per favore, può riempirmi la borraccia con acqua?"
"Where is...?" - "Dov'è...?"
"Help! Can you help me?" - "Aiuto! Puoi aiutarmi?"
"I feel bad. I need a doctor/hospital/ambulance." - "Sto male. Ho bisogno di un dottore/ospedale/ambulanza"
"Is this place/area/street/neighbourhood safe? - "Questo posto/zona/strada/quartiere è sicuro?"
"I badly need a coffee. Where can I find a bar?" - "Ho un dannato bisogno di un caffè. Dove trovo un bar?"
"How much is this? - "Quanto costa questo?"

And here you can find a complete list for the most common environments/situations.
https://www.conversationexchange.com/resources/phrases/mainMenu.php?lg=it&lang=it

Pilgrim b

Per favore / please
And very useful "come si dice italiano" sounds like(” coma sedei chey Italiano “. ) Which means “how do you say in Italian “? Ask this in a shop then point at the object and you get your own special Italian lesson and make good friends at the same time.
b

Last edited:

sadaigh

Per favore / please
And very useful "come si dice italiano" sounds like(” coma sedei chey Italiano “. ) Which means “how do you say in Italian “? Ask this in a shop then point at the object and you get your own special Italian lesson and make good friends at the same time.
b
Como se dice... in Spanish is one of my favorite phrases, but I didn't think to add it to my Italian need to know list! Thanks for the tip and reminder!

sadaigh

Random survival sentences:
"Please, where can I find a toilet?" - "Per favore dove trovo un bagno?"
"Please, can you fill my bottle with water? - "Per favore, può riempirmi la borraccia con acqua?"
"Where is...?" - "Dov'è...?"
"Help! Can you help me?" - "Aiuto! Puoi aiutarmi?"
"I feel bad. I need a doctor/hospital/ambulance." - "Sto male. Ho bisogno di un dottore/ospedale/ambulanza"
"Is this place/area/street/neighbourhood safe? - "Questo posto/zona/strada/quartiere è sicuro?"
"I badly need a coffee. Where can I find a bar?" - "Ho un dannato bisogno di un caffè. Dove trovo un bar?"
"How much is this? - "Quanto costa questo?"

And here you can find a complete list for the most common environments/situations.
https://www.conversationexchange.com/resources/phrases/mainMenu.php?lg=it&lang=it
These are all great and going on my list of things to memorize before I leave! Thank you!

JabbaPapa

Per favore / please
Or "per piacere"

Thank you is "grazie"

"scusa" is excuse me

"Sono pellegrino in cammino di Roma" -- I am a pilgrim on the Way to Rome

"Dov'è che si puo mangiare una pizza ?" -- where can I find some pizza ?

"Come ti chiami ?" -- what's your name ?