Via Francigena

Hello All. I am planning to walk the Via Francigena - Canterbury to Rome - starting July, 2018. My questions are more around crossing St. Bernard Pass. ie., how long it takes to cross, are there accommodations across the pass or is a tent required, any other helpful hints. Can you recommend a good, detailed guide (like the Brierely guides on the Camino de Santiago). Thank you for any help / tips.

Hi Bernie. Wha-hoo! Glad you are walking the VF.
I started in Canterbury Aug 3 last year and got to Rome in late October.

I took two days to cross the pass. One day from Orsieres up to the Hospice at the top of the pass. Then one day from the Hospice down to Etroubles, Italy. The Hospice at the top is amazing and very affordable.

I met two gents that did it in one day. They walked from Boug-Saint-Pierre up and over the pass and down to Etroubles in one day. Phew, that's a serious walk.

I used the Lightfoot Guide (english) for the entire walk. It has sufficient detail. I'm not familar with the Brierely guide.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Bernie. Wha-hoo! Glad you are walking the VF.
I started in Canterbury Aug 3 last year and got to Rome in late October.

I took two days to cross the pass. One day from Orsieres up to the Hospice at the top of the pass. Then one day from the Hospice down to Etroubles, Italy. The Hospice at the top is amazing and very affordable.

I met two gents that did it in one day. They walked from Boug-Saint-Pierre up and over the pass and down to Etroubles in one day. Phew, that's a serious walk.

I used the Lightfoot Guide (english) for the entire walk. It has sufficient detail. I'm not familar with the Brierely guide.

Cheers,
Mark
Thanks Mark. I will try the Lightfoot Guide. Not too concerned about the majority of the walk as I have done a lot of hiking. It’s the Alps I have no clue about. Two days with the Hospice dividing them sounds better than I had expected. I am really looking forward to this one. Thanks again.

William Marques

Staff member
Those two days are between towns halfway up the mountain from Martigny to Aosta the cities at the bottom of the valley it is 4-5 days.

The two days that Mark mentions are the core of the pass where there are no more villages to stop at.

Thank you for clarifying William. I am having trouble finding a detailed guide (Like the Brierley guides for the Santiago pilgrimages). Can you recommend something. Thanks.

William Marques

Staff member
As as been suggested the Lightfoot guides are good otherwise the Cicerone Guides by Alison Raju also cover the route. People usually prefer one or the other with most going for the Lightfoot ones which also have map details for your electronic device downloadable if you are that e-savvy. There is much more info downloadable from http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/piedi/ if you have not already looked there.