We have just completed our walking pilgrimage from Lucca to Rome

We have just completed our 22 day walk (+ 2 rest days) from Lucca to Rome. We then spent 5 days in Rome and are now on our return flight home (Canada). I wrote a brief daily post that you can read here: www.retirementreflections.com.
I included our accommodation details in each post. It was an incredible journey. I am very happy to answer any questions for others who are planning a similar adventure.

Patrick

Your account was a treat! Thank you for all of it, but especially your summary reflections. Ultreia!

Your account was a treat! Thank you for all of it, but especially your summary reflections. Ultreia!
Thanks, Patrick - I used your questions to write the summery. I greatly appreciate you sending them. Good luck with your upcoming VF Camino. It truly is an incredible experience.

kmrice

Thanks! We're waking Fiorenzuola to Siena this fall, and your blog was very helpful. We did Siena to Rome last year and loved it although we had the same reaction to the last leg from La Storta to Rome. We were hoping that some of the garbage had been collected but it looks like what we saw is still there!

Thanks! We're waking Fiorenzuola to Siena this fall, and your blog was very helpful. We did Siena to Rome last year and loved it although we had the same reaction to the last leg from La Storta to Rome. We were hoping that some of the garbage had been collected but it looks like what we saw is still there!
Thanks, Kmrice - I greatly appreciate your feedback. It is very sad about the garbage situation in La Storta (and beyond). I googled it and it has been a long-standing, ongoing problem -- without any immediate solutions in sight. Best of luck on your upcoming adventures.

Patrick

Which caminos did you walk? — it would be helpful in making preparations. I’ve done the whole Northern/Primitivo, and wondered how it compared re daily elevation gains and road vs trail walking.

Emo Johnson

How many days did you allow to walk Siena to Rome? Thank you!

How many days did you allow to walk Siena to Rome? Thank you!
Hi, Emo - Our journey from Lucca to Rome took us 22 walking days plus 2 full rest days. As we had built in extra days for this trip, we did a couple of very short walk days (one 8 km, one 10 km) so that we didn't get to Rome before the date we had booked our hotel there. We did walk a couple of 28+ km days. For us, 20 km days were the most comfortable.

Which caminos did you walk? — it would be helpful in making preparations. I’ve done the whole Northern/Primitivo, and wondered how it compared re daily elevation gains and road vs trail walking.
Hi, Patrick - In 2010, we walked 110 km from Tui, Portugal to Santiago de Compostela. In 2016, we walked 110 km from St. Jean Pied to Port to Najera. In 2017, we walked 700 km from Najera to Santiago de Compostela and then directly on to Muxia and Finistere.
We found that the sections of the Via Francigena that we walked were primarily on dirt roads or rural paths. The route also included many historic paths including ancient Roman roads. For many of the busier roads, there was often an alternative off-road route available, but it sometimes added more kms.
Compared to the Spanish Caminos that we have done, we found this one to have more frequent ascents and descents. On our Spanish Caminos, we were more frequently on the side of a road, or walking through a small town. The Italian Camino had far fewer cafes/shops en route....thus you needed to plan your water and accommodations a bit more carefully.
This link may also help to answer your questions a bit further. https://mytravelintuscany.com/map-and-itinerary-of-via-francigena-in-tuscany/

Patrick

That wa
Hi, Patrick - In 2010, we walked 110 km from Tui, Portugal to Santiago de Compostela. In 2016, we walked 110 km from St. Jean Pied to Port to Najera. In 2017, we walked 700 km from Najera to Santiago de Compostela and then directly on to Muxia and Finistere.
We found that the sections of the Via Francigena that we walked were primarily on dirt roads or rural paths. The route also included many historic paths including ancient Roman roads. For many of the busier roads, there was often an alternative off-road route available, but it sometimes added more kms.
Compared to the Spanish Caminos that we have done, we found this one to have more frequent ascents and descents. On our Spanish Caminos, we were more frequently on the side of a road, or walking through a small town. The Italian Camino had far fewer cafes/shops en route....thus you needed to plan your water and accommodations a bit more carefully.
This link may also help to answer your questions a bit further. https://mytravelintuscany.com/map-and-itinerary-of-via-francigena-in-tuscany/
That was very helpful! I remember from your accounts that you had to choose between beauty and distance sometimes. The Northern I did also had a LOT of ups and downs (the steepest, highest day on the Portuguese route was the normal day of the Northern).

Your description helps me shape my preparation walks, and to look forward to some rural walking.

Thanks!

That wa

That was very helpful! I remember from your accounts that you had to choose between beauty and distance sometimes. The Northern I did also had a LOT of ups and downs (the steepest, highest day on the Portuguese route was the normal day of the Northern).

Your description helps me shape my preparation walks, and to look forward to some rural walking.

Thanks!
Thanks, Patrick - Don’t hesitate to give me a shout if I can help further. Donna