Welshman from America leaving Canterbury May 2...

Hello, my name is Geoff. Planning to do the full trip to Rome, leaving from Canterbury (scene of my secondary schooling and therefore much to answer for!) on May 2.

Already aware of several others with proximate itineraries, and keen to meet up with any fellow pilgrims en route. Male, 60s, retired expat of many year's standing in the USA. Will, initially at least, be accompanied by Bob, a similarly aged dentist from Pennsylvania - and a Camino neophyte.

Have strict intention to walk the whole route (with the Sigeric exceptions of Channel and Lac Leman ferries) - so hoping for no snow at the GSBP in early June.

Both self-confessed "luxury pilgrims" with a basic desire for en suite single accommodation each night and a restaurant in close proximity. What are the chances of achieving that all along the way?

William Marques

Staff member
I would say that for much of the journey what you are after is possible but it may mean walking off the traditional route and some long days which may be OK for an experienced walker but perhaps not so easy for a Camino neophyte. The problem sections are in France early on in your walk which may also discourage your companion.

I would say that for much of the journey what you are after is possible but it may mean walking off the traditional route and some long days which may be OK for an experienced walker but perhaps not so easy for a Camino neophyte. The problem sections are in France early on in your walk which may also discourage your companion.
From everything I have read, I would agree with your comment - which is well taken. I have emphasized to my companion that we are going to have some quite demanding stages early on, as we are not carrying a tent and therefore will not have the option of camping. He is undaunted, however, and I have booked accommodation in advance as far as Clairvaux - which does not give us any flexibility. By then we should know if the joint venture is a achievable!