Where to start

It was correct at the time I wrote though the Testimonium rules change and the 100km marker is as you enter Montefiascone.

On the current basis Bolsena is fine and the walk to Montefiascone is a lovely one.
Thank you. I am not fond of starting near the end;however, I want to meet my friends from Australia I met on the Portuguese Camino. I have also walked the Del Norte. I hope to do more of the VF next year. Ciao :)

We are walking from Whitby to York as a warm up, to flights into Pisa Italy and walking to Siena. This hopefully will leave us with a manageable length to reach Rome mabe next year if we are still fit enough.

Last edited:
Has anyone started from Montgenèvre by any chance? I walked from the Grand St Bernard pass last year, was thinking of doing something - slightly - different this year...

Living in Torino, I know the variation from Montgenèvre very well. IMHO it's worthwhile walking it, because there the landscape is very interesting and various, and you cross villages that have outstanding pieces of history and art.
Unfortunately, when you come to Torino, you have to walk in and out the town (about 12 Km in total), but you have the chance of visiting the Cathedral in which is kept the Holy Shroud, and, if you want to stay a day more, beside a lot of beautiful places, you can visit the best Egyptian Museum in the world (no kidding).
The pilgrim accommodation is less present than in the Valle d'Aosta. From Montgenèvre to Torino you have to rely on B&Bs.
After Torino the pilgrim accommodations are more numerous.

It sounds definitely worthwhile...and I have never visited Torino. I may well spend a day there. Thank you very much for your answer!

Joel

Hey! I walked Camino Frances in '15 and now I think it's time to walk some more! This time I have about 3-4 weeks spare time in may. Any ideas of a good starting location? Have I understood it correctly that there's no starting location equivalent to SJPdP in CF?

Joel

Correct.
Wherever you start it's a good beginning. In the Italian tradition every pilgrimage starts from the door of your house.
Hehe, well that would require 4 months instead of 4 weeks :)

Are there no certain 'hubs' to start from? Is a credential required like in CF to sleep in the albergues? Then I suppose a good starting point for me would be a town 3-4 weeks from Rome, where you can get credentials.

William Marques

Staff member
SJPP is only a recent start point on the CF until the 21st century Roncesvalles was more popular (actually 2005 was the first year more people started in SJPP than Roncesvalles). As Piero says home is the start.

But for the equivalent of SJPP at the base of a mountain range with a significant "Hospice" St Bernard like Roncesvalles at the top the start would be Martigny. It is considerably longer at about 50 days than the 35 or so days on the CF. An equivalent in time would be Vercelli though whether you would want to walk your first 10 days across plains of the Po valley is up to you,

Hey! I walked Camino Frances in '15 and now I think it's time to walk some more! This time I have about 3-4 weeks spare time in may. Any ideas of a good starting location? Have I understood it correctly that there's no starting location equivalent to SJPdP in CF?
The VF starts in Canterbury... or preferably from your home ;-)
From the Grand Saint Bernard pass, I think it took me 40 days. I am not at home so can't check the guidebook.
Have a look at this website http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/

Last edited: