Where to start

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
As far as I know, no.
Where will you start from? I don't know what you can do outside Italy. Over here some ostelli can supply you the Credenziale the first day of your Pilgrimage.
A trick that some foreign Pilgrims use is to buy the Credenziale and make it to be sent to a friend or a place in Italy where you can retrieve at your arrival.

Last edited:
ideally, Canterbury. However, i am reading that the French section is rather sketchy regarding sign posts and accommodations. Ideally, Canterbury. thanks.

ideally, Canterbury. However, i am reading that the French section is rather sketchy regarding sign posts and accommodations. Ideally, Canterbury. thanks.
You can get the credential from Canterbury. There is an office at the cathedral and they have them. Maybe you could email them beforehand?
The other place where I got one was the Grand St Bernard Hospice. Again, I emailed them first.

You can get the credential from Canterbury. There is an office at the cathedral and they have them. Maybe you could email them beforehand?
The other place where I got one was the Grand St Bernard Hospice. Again, I emailed them first.
Excellent. grazie mille. lemme try. Did you walk from Aosta up to the Grand St. Bernard then back? Is there an off-road hiking trail?

Excellent. grazie mille. lemme try. Did you walk from Aosta up to the Grand St. Bernard then back? Is there an off-road hiking trail?
No, for the second length of my journey I flew to Geneva, then from the airport took train to Martigny then bus to the Hospice. I try never to walk ‘backwards’ ;-)

It seems to me that there's not enough yet in this forum, even basic information wise, about the many secondary routes of the Francigena, including those starting in France at Mont Saint Michel, and Lourdes and those coming down from Germany and the Netherlands in particular.

---

Not shown on this map, but there's also a route starting from Paris through Vézelay, traditionally joining to the principal Francigena not sure where in France (but in the direction of Cossonay obviously) (though the only good waymarked route out of Vézelay ends up taking you to the Francigena at Besançon), and a route starting in Bordeaux (waymarked a little haphazardly only at present largely as cycling routes, via Cahors towards the Arles routes of the Camino and the Francigena, can join the Arles route at several points).

Don't know enough about the Pilgrim Ways in Germany etc to really discuss the main route from up there and its variants, but then that sort of info should be in here too -- I know there's at least the major variant that passes through Austria and Milan.

Last edited: