WiFi

sadaigh

Hello!

I've still in the beginning phases of planning my trip for next year (end of May 2019) and have had trouble figuring out just how much wifi connection I will be able to get along the Via Francigena between San Bernardo to Rome. I completed the Camino Frances in 2017 and had no problem accessing wifi, but I understand the VF has less accommodations, etc. For the sake of my loved ones back home, I want to be able to assure them that I will be letting them know I am alive everyday. Is this realistic on the VF?

On UrCamino.com, when I was looking at places to stay and stages, I noticed only maybe two of the accommodations had wifi for the entire length of the journey. All 1,000km. Is this accurate?

I hope I'm not repeating questions that have been asked and answered :)

Thank you for any and all help/answers!

If accommodation doesnt have wifi then try a nearby hotel or cafebar. When i was in Campagna di Roma in September i couldnt find anywhere with wifi.

Hi. I walked the VF from Canterbury to Rome last year. Although wifi was very rare in pilgrim accomodations, I did have cell service just about the whole way in Italy and was able to text and email regularly.

Mark

It’s easy to just get a sim card for your phone. Cost you in the neighborhood of 25 euros for a month, and that way you won’t have to worry about wi-fi. I’ve done a lot of hiking in Italy (though just a little bit on the VF), and coverage is pretty good, although occasionally you’ll be off the grid. In Italy, Vodagone and Tim have the best coverage, Wind is less good.

In answer to your other post — about your friends and family being able to track you — on google maps there is a function called Share My Location. It’s easy to set up, and anyone you add will be able to track you in real time. On google maps (or maps.me) you can also download maps of whatever region you’re in, so you don’t have to burn up data (though you probably can’t share your location without a data connection).

Hope this helps.

Just shy of 90 days.
Americans are limited to a three month tourist visa once you cross the English Channel. But that was okay and just the right amount of time. I did not feel rushed.

It is an incredible pilgrimage and each country/region was uniquely inspiring.

Well, Bravo, Bravo, Bravo....!!! Thanks for your response - so glad you Ike’s it! I would love to do the entire way from Canterbury, but am planning for the San Bernardino Pass/Rome - just haven’t got the dates set out in stone yet....

Piero Frustascarpe

Staff member
For the sake of my loved ones back home, I want to be able to assure them that I will be letting them know I am alive everyday. Is this realistic on the VF?
Don't worry, in Italy even if not all the Pilgrim Accomodations have Wi-Fi, you can find plenty of bars and public areas in which it is available and free.
The diffusion of it is improving every year.
And, just in case, you can always find generous local people who will be happy to give you the password of their network. Just ask.

Don't worry, in Italy even if not all the Pilgrim Accomodations have Wi-Fi, you can find plenty of bars and public areas in which it is available and free.
The diffusion of it is improving every year.
And, just in case, you can always find generous local people who will be happy to give you the password of their network. Just ask.
Thank you! I didn't worry about this so much when I was walking the CF, but that was before my walking buddy decided it was harder than she had expected and I suddenly found myself walking alone. My mom freaking out a bit after that. I don't want to run into the same problems again.

Hello!

I've still in the beginning phases of planning my trip for next year (end of May 2019) and have had trouble figuring out just how much wifi connection I will be able to get along the Via Francigena between San Bernardo to Rome. I completed the Camino Frances in 2017 and had no problem accessing wifi, but I understand the VF has less accommodations, etc. For the sake of my loved ones back home, I want to be able to assure them that I will be letting them know I am alive everyday. Is this realistic on the VF?

On UrCamino.com, when I was looking at places to stay and stages, I noticed only maybe two of the accommodations had wifi for the entire length of the journey. All 1,000km. Is this accurate?

I hope I'm not repeating questions that have been asked and answered :)

Thank you for any and all help/answers!
Hello Sadaigh,

My wife and I will walk from Great St Bernard's Pass to Rome in 2019 (stepping off on 24 August). We have found the blog at anitaraftery@blogspot.com very informative and you will note that Anita makes mention of accommodation options in all of the places she and her husband stopped.

Thank you for sending me the link! I'll check it out. I'll be leaving about a month after you from St. Bernards (if it's open). Have you checked out the YouTube videos by Efren Gonzalez yet? They're pretty amazing.

DavidJ

I walked from Canterbury to Rome between June and August this year and never had a single day when I was unable to keep in touch with friends and family via email or WhatsApp. I used wifi around 70 % of the time and my cell phone sim when wifi was no available - so you will be fine. Its a wonderful pilgrimage from where you are starting at the Great Saint Bernard Pass. If you need any help or advice let me know.

sergea

Hi Sadaigh,
I have completed the pilgrim this year from Canterbury to Reims and from Cossonay (Switzerland) down to Rome. In almost each and every location I managed to get access to a WiFi hotspot. Or at least once a day as you tend to cross villages where restaurants or bars will provide you WiFi access. In any case, this is a great pilgrim to completre and I'm jalous of you as I wish to be at your palce: to be about to complete it and to go throught his great experience. Enjoy each and every day of your progression to Rome: it's a life time experience. If you need further more details or you look for a place to overnight in Switzerland, drop me a line. Good luck!!!

I walked from Great Saint Bernard Pass to Rome in August/September this year, and unlike some of the others above, I struggled to get access to WIFI every day. I did buy a TIM phone sim and it worked pretty well - just check that you buy a phone/data/text package. I also found that many places advertised WIFI but it was either 'not working today' or I had problems connecting. The good thing about the (https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/) app is that you can download the maps and use them offline. Mel