Would it be beneficial to become a member of AVIF or Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR)

Heliman1965

Hi All,

I'm just starting to plan to walk the second half of the Camino to Rome. I'm looking to start at the point where I can incorporate the GSBP and have been reading about those 2 associations:- The International Association Via Francigena (AIVF) and Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome (CPR) my question is would you recommend joining either of them and if yes.. "which one"??

I'm not planning to walk until June 2021 and flying from UK London I will have to research which of the airports will be best and cheapest and how to travel to the town/village at the bottom of the Pass...

I've ordered the guide book
The Via Francigena Canterbury to Rome - Part 2
By Alison Raju

Any help will be gratefully received...

Many Thanks

Bryan

William Marques

Staff member
I have been a member of both and currently am a CPR member. Certainly if you live in the UK the CPR is a better choice with more personal interaction and chances to meet other pilgrims.

As for getting to the bottom of the St Bernard Pass, if you mean the Swiss side Geneva is the best choice. There is an efficient train service from the airport to Martigny and the journey is very easy.

Heliman1965

I have been a member of both and currently am a CPR member. Certainly if you live in the UK the CPR is a better choice with more personal interaction and chances to meet other pilgrims.

As for getting to the bottom of the St Bernard Pass, if you mean the Swiss side Geneva is the best choice. There is an efficient train service from the airport to Martigny and the journey is very easy.

Hi William,

Thank you for your reply... :)
I became a member of the Confraternity of St Jame back in 2012 when I walked the Camino de Santiago and will explore this option again...

Yes.. that is exactly the sort of information I'm looking for regarding the best airport to fly into with easy access to my start point... I'm going to be traveling solo so all the research and planning for a stress free start will be truly beneficial to me..

Many thanks

Bryan

Stuart Nelson

If I might add my input Bryan - although I have to tell you that as the recently appointed Membership Secretary of the CPR - I am dedicated to the CPR, although at the AIVF is also a very good association.

We are a group of volunteers, dedicated to helping our member pilgrims achieve the best possible experience of the Via Francigena. It goes beyond providing just the badge and the Passport. We try to engage and encourage others to do the same. If this is of any help, this was my talk at the recent AGM. It is a 'confraternity' and we try to maintain the 'fraternity' part of that title.

We all hope that you will enjoy membership, and, as we are a confraternity, share your stories and experiences to the benefit of all our members.